By Fred Stabbert III – publisher
By: FRED STABBERT III | DEMOCRAT
The Callicoon Depot will undergo a complete restoration to become a Visitors Center and community space.
Callicoon – One of Callicoon’s most historic buildings, the Callicoon Railroad Depot, just got a new lease on life – literally – when the Callicoon Business Association (CBA) signed a long-term lease with the Central New York Railroad Corporation.
The agreement will pave the way for the newly-formed Callicoon Depot Inc. (CBI) to take site control and begin work on the restoration of the historic 1896 railroad depot and grounds in the center of the hamlet.
The independent, non-profit organization was established with the sole mission of completing the depot’s restoration and sustaining its long-term operation, maintenance and programming.
CBI secured roughly $450,000 in grants and donations and engaged a variety of partners in discussions about using and activating the space.
The most significant partner in the project is the Upper Delaware Scenic Byway (UDSB), which has assigned a $250,000 NYS grant to the UDSB for creation of a visitor center to serve Byway communities.
UDSB chair Johnny Pizzolato notes, “The visitor center has had many incarnations with twists and turns, much like the byway we promote. We are thrilled to see our visitor center based in Callicoon, one of the most idyllic of our river communities in Sullivan County – and one that is right in the middle of Upper Delaware Scenic Byway.”
CBA President Patti Moorhead said, “The CBA members are elated the Depot lease is now signed. We’re eager to undertake the station’s restoration and anticipate suggestions and input from the public.
Sullivan County Democrat